Read the NCTM Measurement Standard: Instructional programs from prekindergarten through grade 12 should enable all students to:
- Understand measurable attributes of objects and the units, systems, and processes of measurement
- Apply appropriate techniques, tools, and formulas to determine measurements
Featured Topic: Measurement Man
Help students learn their measurement conversions by constructing Measurement Man or adapting Measurement Man to fall scarecrows.
These activities help students make sense of measurement by measuring the world around them using appropriate units. The emphasis is on constructing meaning for the units as well as the instruments students use to measure length, capacity, etc.
- See Pumpkins, Pumpkins Everywhere  for some seasonal pumpkin measurement activities
- See Pumpkin Measurements  for pictures of first grade pumpkin measurement activities
Additional Mathwire.com Resources
- See more Measurement Math Templates: insert in sheet protectors for student use with dry erase markers or for teacher use as overhead transparencies.
- See Problem Solving Resources for open-ended assessments that involve measurement.
- See all Measurement Games.
- See Literature Connections for measurement.
- See more Measurement Links.
- See all Enrichment Activities for measurement.